Wednesday, September 20, 2006

The wit and humour of Eric Engledew

Eric Engledew passed away on the morning of Thursday, 31st August 2006.

Although I suppose he had his detractors, I never heard, nor knew, of one; he seemed to be that rare human being, a man who was admired by everybody and of who everybody was proud to be his friend or colleague.

And that was a lot of people. Colleagues from Imperial Airways, BOAC, British Airways and Austravel and friends from his last home in Westport, CT, will all be saddened by his passing.

Of all his qualities, his quick wit is the most widely remembered and this blog is created so that we can share our recollections of this unique man's sense of humour. It was a wit without barb; it never sought to hurt or humiliate, yet was nevertheless sharp and quick.

It remained with him to the last - as the email message he wrote to everyone a few days before his death showed. I can do no better than start this blog by quoting it.

"Please forgive this modest round-robin e-mail but rather than (have you) read about it in the News of the World - the pancreatic cancer has finally caught up with me.

My ashes will be scattered on the 13th (water) hole at the Longshore golf course where they'll be reunited with several hundred of my golf balls.

It's been a great deal of fun these past 84 years and I have no complaints - I hope you all continue to have a glittering future, good night and good luck. Eric "

To that message his widow, Nicola, added, "I know Eric would like you all to remember and smile."

I have no doubt we will, and I hope this blog will be a place we can share our recollections of Eric's humour, and smile again.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eric was on the fringes of my life for many years, even crewing dinghies with my father, Ted House, in their 60s, and I hope to see many other stories that will be told by those far better qualified than I.

Our own unique "Engledewism" goes back to the mid-1970's. I was just leaving the elevated part of the M4 in the morning rush hour when the clutch cable broke and the car was bucking and jerking. Cue Eric in the other lane, over flashed the blue eyes to my wife Suzanne (BWIA 1970-1986), and all he said before driving off was "stop interfering with him!!"

Adrian House (BA 1969 – 1977)

12:43 a.m.  
Blogger engledew said...

ERIC once met never forgotten his charm, the blue eyes, the engledew sense of humor, they are all things which we miss. he loved to tell stories of places he had been and lived. he was a much loved uncle and is missed by us all. As mentioned by simon Eric and his brothers did spend a number of years in an orphanage due to the sudden death of my grandfather at the age of 29 leaving my grandmother with 3 very young sons no welfare help in those days. I have got the paper work showing how they had to win votes to stay in the orphanage on 27th november 1929 eric got 1078 votes i have letters going through to 1933 it was sometime after that they were able to go home to their mother. They had a rough start to life but they all turned out to be loving fathers to their sons and daughters. my grandma was very proud of what eric did with his life. she kept all the cards he would send to her from the four corners of the world. He served in north africa during ww2 and engaged in many dangerous missions behind enemy lines. he was a man of action who if he could help you out he would.

uncle eric you were 1 in a million like my dad.

Ruth Ellington nee Engledew

9:27 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home