Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Double entendres

One of the defining characteristics of English humour is the way we play with words, often double entendres involving out-dated or old-fashioned meanings of words. Of course, this can create a joke that someone not in tune with the original meanings might not fully appreciate, but it also means that if one doesn’t recognise the second meaning, no offence can be taken. Eric’s humour was typically English in this respect.

On one occasion whilst Eric was Sales Manager UK, I was a very junior member of a senior management conference held at Turnberry in Scotland. My role was to help organise the event and I’d arranged for one of our Glasgow-based staff, a stunningly pretty girl, to act as Conference Secretary.

That evening the Conference was invited by the Scottish Tourist Board to a reception and dinner at Culzean Castle. During the evening I was talking with the Secretary when Eric joined us and, with his trademark smile, said to her "I hope you’ve kept some time for me later this evening."

Aware of his reputation as a charmer, the girl responded "but Mr Engledew, I’ve been quite overwhelmed by such requests from other delegates. I feel I should be making a list."

"In that case I should be at the top of the list."

"Why so?" asked the girl, to which Eric simply replied, "Long service."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home